Thursday, January 5, 2012

Outreach so far.

Well I'm back from the village, and what an experience so far!

We arrived late on the 26th (Thailand time.) after 20 hours in the air plus layover time and such... long day. But as I just mentioned to someone today- that felt like an out of body experience. I was very grateful that the plane was comfy AND had a number of movies to pick from. I sure had my movie fill that day... We spent the time at the YWAM Thailand base, had orientation the next day and then headed to meet our first contact- Lawn.
We spent the evening at his house for our "Christmas Dinner" (which was beyond wonderful) and then spent the night at the school that he teaches at. Only to be off early the next morning for the village. It was about 4 hour drive... all in the back of a truck. Half on the time was on "normal roads" and then we hit the dusty, bumpy trails for the second half... WITH some masks to help with the dust issue. It was a good trek. I think I can speak for all those in the back of the truck by saying that our butts were pretty ready to get out- BUT it was actually a really fun, bonding experience.

Then we roughed it.
Tents, bathing in a river, interesting toilet situations, a nice 2 outfit rotation (for me at least) and lots of work with cement. But it was so worth it, hands down.
As far as memories go...
Favorite job: building a stone wall. It was around their school sign where a cute little garden/flower bed was going to go. My hands swelled and dried up a bit from handling the cement for that long- which was slightly humorous. But it really was a good time.
Favorite river fun: floating down the river on our off day... through rapids. Screaming with joy and pain at the same time. Delicious. Hilarious. Best. If we're being honest, and I am, I may or may not have peed like 5 times within that little bit because it was THAT funny. But that may be a little too much information there for some of you...
Favorite night: dance party with the kids after a little time of ministry, funny how that worked out... but it was too awesome.
Favorite little girl: I can't even pronounce her name. But it was so sweet. She clung to me, sat on me until my legs were numb, etc. Sweet-sweet-sweet. Just warms my heart thinking about it... GEM I tell you.
Favorite little boy: Warawot. (spelling might be off there.... and my pronounciation but whatever.) Total sweet heart. We were doing crafts with the kids and Kris and I were getting him to make this headband thing... so we wrote on his and then he took the crayon and writes 2 "I love _____." and asked us to each put our name in a blank. I wanted to cry. Just precious I tell you.
Favorite day activity: probably getting to take a day off and go with Lawn and some of the village boys into the village for a grocery run. It was such a sweet time!

I could go on... and on. BUT bottom line here: I really do feel like we impacted the people there by our hard work and our actions. They probably impacted me just as much (if not more...) than that. I seriously feel like the kids taught me so much. Incredible. Every day I could look at them and find something else to apply to my life. Servanthood, gentleness, compassion, kindness, sharing, eagerness, joy.... and so on. I just felt God speaking to me through the people there every day.

So now we're back and on to an English camp in the morning for this weekend before we head out to our next location! I'm just ready for God to keep bringing it and teaching me the importance of all the little things. Choosing to make every action one of worship.

That's the general overview of life here so far.
Two thumbs up from me. :)

1 comment:

  1. good to hear from you Taylor!! love how much you are enjoying and embracing it all!! i am sure you are blessing to all!

    ReplyDelete